Central Ohio Home Inspection Pros  ®

"A Brief Guide to Mold, Moisture, and Your Home"

Mold Sampling

Patch Independent Home Inspections does not claim to be a specialist in mold or fungal identification. Nor do we engage in any form of mold or fungal remediation or clean up.

We can, at the client's request, take a sample of a visible mold or fungus, via swab or air sample collection to send to an EPA approved laboratory for identification and recommendations for appropriate action. Remediation specialists are recommended if certain types or significant amounts of mold are present, particularly if the client or occupants have severe allergy problems or compromised immune systems.

Mold requires moisture and an organic food source to survive. During the home inspection we attempt to identify the source and level of moisture activity that may be causing fungal growth.

Mold Basics

  • The key to mold control is moisture control.
  • If mold is a problem in your home, you should have the it cleaned up promptly by a qualified contractor and fix the water problem.
  • It is important to dry water-damaged areas and items within 24-48 hours to prevent mold growth.


To find out if mold is a problem in your home, have your home inspected by a Certified Mold Inspector. Rick A. Harrington, CMI. of Patch Independent Home Inspections, LLC. holds a certification from MIPTI #70534.


Why is mold growing in my home?

Molds are part of the natural environment.  Outdoors, molds play a part in nature by breaking down dead organic matter such as fallen leaves and dead trees, but indoors, mold growth should be avoided.  Molds reproduce by means of tiny spores; the spores are invisible to the naked eye and float through outdoor and indoor air.  Mold may begin growing indoors when mold spores land on surfaces that are wet.  There are many types of mold, and none of them will grow without water or moisture.










Can mold cause health problems?

Molds are usually not a problem indoors, unless mold spores land on a wet or damp spot and begin growing.  Molds have the potential to cause health problems.  Molds produce allergens (substances that can cause allergic reactions), irritants, and in some cases, potentially toxic substances (mycotoxins).  Inhaling or touching mold or mold spores may cause allergic reactions in sensitive individuals.  Allergic responses include hay fever-type symptoms, such as sneezing, runny nose, red eyes, and skin rash (dermatitis).  Allergic reactions to mold are common.  They can be immediate or delayed.  Molds can also cause asthma attacks in people with asthma who are allergic to mold.  In addition, mold exposure can irritate the eyes, skin, nose, throat, and lungs of both mold-allergic and non-allergic people.  Symptoms other than the allergic and irritant types are not commonly reported as a result of inhaling mold.  Research on mold and health effects is ongoing.  For more detailed information consult a health professional.  You may also wish to consult your state or local health department.

How do I get rid of mold?

It is impossible to get rid of all mold and mold spores indoors; some mold spores will be found floating through the air and in house dust.  The mold spores will not grow if moisture is not present.  Indoor mold growth can and should be prevented or controlled by controlling moisture indoors.  If there is mold growth in your home, you must clean up the mold and fix the water problem.  If you clean up the mold, but don't fix the water problem, then, most likely, the mold problem will come back.

Patch Independent Home Inspections, LLC can perform surface, air, and dust sampling to test for mold. All of the samples are collected following the strictest of guidelines set forth by the Indoor Environmental Standards Organization. EMSL Aanlytical, INC is our chosen provider of EPA standard testing laboratory.



If the answer is "yes" to any of the following questions, consider a mold inspection or mold testing now:

  • Is there a "musty smell in your home or building?
  • Are there visible signs of water damage anywhere?
  • Has the property ever suffered a leaking basement?
  • Has the property ever suffered a roof leak?
  • Has the property ever suffered a plumbing leak?
  • Has the property ever suffered a sink or sewer overflow?
  • Has the property ever suffered other water problems?

If any of the family members, residents or occupants have experienced any of the following adverse health effects, it may indicate that mold is present in their environment.

  • sinus congestion
  • nausea
  • sneezing
  • runny nose
  • coughing
  • skin rashes
  • fatigue
  • flu-like systems
  • headaches
  • restlessness
  • dizziness
  • irritation of the eyes, nose or throat
  • wheezing
  • fevers
  • asthma
  • emphysema

United States EPA publications are available for more information.


To contact Patch Independent Home Inspections, LLC. to schedule an inspection or for more information about our inspection services and rates, contact us at:



Phone:  (614) 565-4962
Email: homeinspections@insight.rr.com

Mold growing outdoors on firewood.  Molds come in many colors; both white and black molds are shown here.
PATCH
Independent Home Inspections, LLC
Serving Columbus and Central Ohio

Rick A. Harrington
13514 Falmouth Ave
Pickerington, Ohio 43147
(614) 565-4962
(614) 768-1190 fax
homeinspections@insight.rr.com

Home Inspections
Thermal Imaging (Infrared)
Indoor Air Quality & Mold Sampling
Radon and pest inspections
Contact us for all your Columbus Ohio Home Inspection needs.